Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

A Good Day

Up at 11am and out the door by 10pm. Amazing. I think I might actually be on the road to a regular schedule. I finally got the Owlcon trophies delivered. Yup, I just now got them delivered. Let's just say I won't be taking on any timely projects for other people. I'm too much of a procrastinator. I feel so bad about delivering the trophies so late I couldn't even think about accepting their money despite Angelo's insistence. I won't be volunteering to do trophies next year, to say the least.

The trip did me good though. I hooked up with him around 4pm, which gave me some time to kill, so I hit Half Price Books and Nan's Cards and Comics. I picked up a few more paperbacks to burn through since I won't be moving until next weekend (closing date is the 5th). For the most part I just wandered around the stores, soaking up the relaxing vibes.

I love used bookstores. The smell of old books all around you, the quiet shuffling of people patiently looking for the right one, sitting quietly in a corner reading the first few pages of a book. Very therapeutic.

Nan's has the feel of a old used bookstore, but for me it's something a little more. As an Army brat who bounced around a lot, there aren't too many places I have a very long history with. Nan's is one of the exceptions. The first time my dad took me I was around 11 or 12 years old and I've been going there regularly since then. Every time we visited Houston while my dad was on leave, or later when I was, I made it a point to always make a Nan's Trip. I'm a recognized face (as is my son's now), I know the guys (and one gal) who work there, and the store has a lot of great memories attached to it. Comics I used to read, toys I used to own (or wanted), dusty games I played as a kid (Fireball Island rocks!), a small wall of paperback fantasy and sci-fi, and they even have a adult section for "mature audiences." For the most part, it's just a bunch of big breasted super chics who happen to lose there top every issue, nude figurines, and collectible playboy and hustler cards, and tasteful art books. Yeah, I've been in there since then since I'm now an "adult". I swear, I don't think I'm ever going to get used to being referred to as an adult.

Overall, a damn good day out of the house even if it was only for a few hours. Oh, I picked up some much needed (everything I get at Nan's is much needed) tiny dice and a new game. The game? Grass. You're a pot dealer competing to make the most money the fastest. First dealer to peddle 250K worth of weed, wins. It came in a hemp bag. I can't wait to play. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment