Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Monday, August 23, 2004

Home

It's Next Monday and we're pretty much moved in. It all went down on Thursday, despite all the trouble and set backs. We rented the Uhaul on Wednesday. Lana and I loaded it down that night after she finished packing for her weekend business trip. After a few set backs we finally were able to get the keys to our new house. With the help of volunteers (Thanks Cory and Allison!!) we got the first truck unloaded pretty fast. The second truck was another matter. My brother Mike probably sensed my level of desperation (Lana was leaving for her business trip on Friday morning and the Uhaul had to be back before then) stayed and helped some more. The three of us loaded up the second, and last, truck load at around 2am. My brother's truck probably still smells like my fish tank. Xiomara kept a head count on the kids and made sure they didn't get packed in the Uhaul plus kept Marian entertained. Once it was unloaded, they went home exhausted. I don't know what we would have done without them. Once again, my little brother saves my ass. Lana and I unloaded the uhaul, I set up the tank, made a trip to Walmart for Start Right (couldn't find it in the mess of boxes), Lana cleaned the Uhaul while I acclimated the fish. About the time they were in the tank it was time to return the Uhaul. When we got back Lana took a shower, then a nap. I continued unpacking. Sleeping is a dangerous thing when you have to be somewhere in just an hour. At 730am we left for the airport. I came home and showered the layers of sweat and dirt off and prompting passed out at around 10am. The alarm woke me at 1pm. I moved the TV and couches into their spots and hooked up the DVD player. The cable guy was coming to hook up at 2pm. He showed up at 4pm and left at 6:3pm. I passed out on the couch watching I have no idea what. I was home.

It's odd really. It doesn't feel like a new house. It feels like our home. It's not the newness glamour of somewhere different but the comfortable feeling of finally being home after a long trip. Lana thinks it has to do with the fact that we've been dreaming about this house for two years now every since we first saw it, when it wasn't for sale at the time. I feel a little differently. Sure, I think the brain training has something to do with it but I think it was the fact that this home was truly loved by the people who lived here before us. They built the house, added onto it with each family member, and loved the house as a home, not just a place to stay. The house grew with the family. I think every place that's loved the way this one is, holds on to that in a way that others can feel it. Or maybe I'm just being silly. What does it matter though to anyone but me right? ;)

I better go for now. I need to pick Lana up from the airport today but I want to get some reading in before I go. I got my new GURPS 4th edition books in the other day and met the new UPS man. His name is Lee, he's been delivering on this route for over 20 years and he lives just down the street. He was our first (not last) neighbor to welcome us to the neighborhood. If that's not a good omen I don't know what is.





No comments:

Post a Comment