Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Tuesday, November 2, 2004

Election Day

I woke up pretty damn early today, for me anyway. It was around 930am when I finally gave up on trying to sleep. The dogs were howling from their kennels and refused to be ignored. For the first thirty minutes I had this nagging feeling I needed to be somewhere today. Then it hit me what it was; Election Day. Keep in mind I haven't been keeping up with politics at all. That still didn't get rid of the feeling that I had to vote despite the fact that I knew little to nothing on where the candidates stood.

So I got showered, got dressed, and hit the web. I don't know how many sites I hit but I know I read for a couple hours straight. My eyes weren't seeing straight by the time I walked away to digest what I had read on the candidates. Yeah, probably not enough to truly make a well informed decision but I think sometimes it's better to make a hurried decision then not make one at all. I called my dad for his opinion on the way to my old high school and drove around a bit chewing it all over in my head.

I honestly believe that it's a privilege to be able to have such an influence over our government and that to not vote would be insulting to those who have defended our rights to do so. I didn't vote last presidential election and made excuses for my laziness. I was still in the Army at the time and figured, "Hey, I've done more than most to serve my country. I'm a soldier." Looking back now, I had even more reason to vote. After all, the president isn't just a political figurehead to a soldier; he's chain of command. So I voted today and I feel pretty good about my vote even if it was a decision made quickly.

It looks like Bush is taking home the prize again. I can't really say if I'm happy or not about it. The only reason I say that is I jumped into the whole thing a little too late to make a well informed decision. I feel a little bad about it, but it won't happen next time. I think I surprised my dad when I called him. I'm not sure if it was the fact I was calling him before 10am or that I was asking his opinion on politics. It's been a long time since I really paid any attention to politics and he's well aware of it. My dad took me to cast my first vote. I remember the day well because I was so enthused to be voting. I was exercising my right as an American. I knew it was a big deal to my dad to take his son to cast his first vote and I was proud to be able to. Illegal aliens and immigrants know what it is to be an American more than most Americans do I think.

Anyway. Next voting day, I plan on casting my vote with the confidence that I made a well informed decision. No more slacking on something as important as this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment