Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Wednesday, December 1, 2004

Feeling Christmas

I'm up before noon and I was in bed after four. I woke up to the sound of Don's unmistakable voice at the door. Lana and I stayed up doing our usual three episodes of Law and Order SVU before I finally convinced her it was time to go to bed.

We got our Christmas tree up! Marcel picked the tree, we got it home, I trimmed the bottom up and put it in the stand. We were running a little late on our way to Cory's birthday dinner (duck!) so we didn't get a chance to decorate. We're doing good to have the tree up before the twentieth. I was going through our boxes only to see that there were a few more casualties from the move. We lose a few bulbs every year. I'm pretty sure we don't have enough to cover even half the tree this year so I guess we'll have to get some more. I'm just hoping I can keep Lana from doing the Disco tree she's been wanting to do. I'm not really one for a traditional style tree but that might be further than I'm willing to go.

With a tree in the house now it's beginning to actually feel like Christmas. Hopefully Lana won't react too badly to the tree this year. She touches the tree as little as possible but I think the smell bothers her. She's slightly allergic to pine. I personally love the smell of a fresh Christmas tree. It brings back all those memories. Man, I miss those days. I guess that's why I insist on a real tree every year. The smell of pine, the act of trimming it together, and just all the memories associated with a real tree. I'll probably give in eventually and let Lana go plastic but something in me just twists and turns at the thought. A plastic tree just isn't right and Christmas just won't feel the same.

I think this year we're going to be doing the big Christmas dinner for Lana's family. I'm thinking of making some tamales. It's been a long time since I've had some good ones. I can no longer eat Mexican food at restaurants. I miss my mom's cooking and every time I order food at some over glorified taco bell it just tastes bad in comparison. Learning to cook is one of those things I want to get around to.

Lana might be paying Abbey to teach her and I'm thinking of jumping in.

Abbey cooked duck for Cory last night and I ate until I couldn't think of another bite, until desert of course. Lana asked Abbey if she would give her cooking lessons once a week. Dinner was great, the company was good, and we both went home with a full tummy and a smile. Tonight we decorate the tree. Man, I love this time of year. All the great memories come flooding back and I'm making new ones with my own family. I'm thinking of breaking out the photos and finally hanging some pictures in the house. I'm just in one of those really weird nostalgic moods. It's a double-edged sword especially this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment