Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Monday, December 6, 2004

A Hefty Left Hand

Sitting at my computer, working a little on the GURPS GCB Star Wars book, I got a instant message from Ray. Back when I was in the military, I worked as an EMT on ambulances and in the emergency room. My work schedule was insane most of the time but I generally worked 7pm to 7am. Ray was one of the paramedics I rode with now and then. A cool guy to hang with, never a dull moment on those long patient transports, and a great paramedic. His nick online is Hefty Lefty since he's left handed and he uses his left hand when he - nevermind. Did I mention he has a great sense of humor?

It's been a while since I last talked to him so I was a little surprised to get a message from him. Turns out him and another friend have cooked together a really great business plan for training military medical personnel out there in Fort Campbell. He was looking for a little advice on the web end of things plus it was a great excuse to catch up. I got the latest dirt on old friends and it brought back a lot of memories of my BDU wearing days. Who got fat, who got fired, who got silicone implants. The usual work gossip that someone who doesn't work anymore would never hear.

It wasn't all that bad looking back. Yeah, I worked like a dog, but I made some good friends. We had a lot of fun and the job was rewarding. Working nightshift was nothing like working dayshift. I think some people are nightshift and others were meant to be dayshift. It's a difference in attitude. The job isn't any less a priority but the means isn't always the same. It's a much more relaxed atmosphere and for a military guy that had it's ups and downs. I was on a first name basis with everyone but we knew when to revert back to military talk. I slipped now and then but usually it wasn't that bad if you don't count that Military Prick I once called "Sarge". Turns out he really was. I miss being an EMT. Helping out on a code, setting a splint, suturing someone's head, holding down a drunk, etc. On the rare days off, we'd gather at my place and roleplay. Greg worked in the ambulance section with me, Matt worked one of the Troop Medical Clinics, John worked in Surgery, and Brit worked in the Emergency Room. You can't imagine how gruesome our ritualistic bullshit talk was before dice ever hit the table.

Turns out quiet a few guys I knew back then stayed in or got back in for various reasons. It was like I was telling Ray. Looking back, it almost feels in third person. Things that happened in the emergency room, patients we treated, small things that only coworkers are privy to, etc. It seems so foreign now like it all happened to someone else. In a lot of ways I guess it did but that's good thing. :)

I think I'm going to seriously look into getting my EMT certs back. I'm not going to be looking into full time work or even part time but it would be nice to do some ride alongs again. This time I won't have to wear BDU's.

1 comment:

  1. Just goes to show you, good skill can overcome that -4 for using your off hand. :)

    ReplyDelete