Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Santa

The new cat, Magnus (a.k.a. Juice), seems to be adjusting to his new home and position as Office Cat. I don't see him much, but I'm not up in Lana's office much. With Lana, Dosha and Johnny puffing away at their computers I can feel a headache build up before too long. The office has what Lana calls "the pool hall smell." I prefer the smell of super glue, Bondo, and melting foam. ;)

I began construction on my Warhammer army. I'm going with Skavan as my first army. They seem like a pretty flexible army. My only beef with the game is that the mini's cost so damn much, so I've been sticking to Ebay. I'm pretty excited about making scenery though. I've already built a ruined house and have plans for a lot more. I'm hoping to have a 2150 point army constructed so I can play at Owlcon. It's good to have a new project set into motion. I seem to always need an excuse for motivation and Owlcon was the ticket for this one. That gives me around a month to collect, construct, and paint 234 miniatures. I have a deadline now...

Christmas is a blink away. Lana's done most of the Christmas shopping this year and for that I'm very thankful. I still need to go fight the malls though for her present. She's so damn hard to shop for but I think I got something picked out for her that she'll like or so I hope. She's so hard to shop for and I always feel like I'm drawing straws when I get her something. Marcel wasn't the easiest to shop for this year either but at least with him I know I can't go too wrong so long I don't bring home socks or sweaters. I love this time of year but it's always tinged with just a bit of melancholy. Christmas with my little brother, mom, and my dad. All those emotions and memories just stir to the surface. While not exactly freezing weather, the cold weather always makes me think back to when we lived in Colorado. Lots of memories. Sometimes it hits me at the oddest moment - I'm an adult and all that's in the past. I invited my little brother and his family to spend Christmas with us this year. It would be nice to have my little brother with me again on Christmas morning.

Marcel helped me clean out the chimney the other day before I lit a fire. When he saw how small the entrance was, he asked me how Santa was going to fit. It was one of those I'm-An-Adult moments and for a moment I was too acutely aware of it to respond. Here my son was, asking for me to explain how a fat man in a red suit was going to fit down a 36"x5" hole, and I hesitated. Before Lana and I had kids we debated on weather or not we'd lie to our kids on subjects like this. Is Santa real, what does the tooth fairy do with my teeth, where do babies come from, etc. You get the point. Do we deceive our child, taking advantage of their unquestioning devotion, or tell them the truth? It was a very serious debate for us at times.

People without children have no idea and never will until they have their own.

I told him Santa is magical, of course. How do you think he makes his sleigh fly? I also promised him we wouldn't light a fire on Christmas Eve.

It's pretty late and I should probably call it a night. I got a hot bowl of menudo with my name on it back at the house. Not that it needs my name on it since I'm the only one in the house who'll eat it, other than Marcel. Hell, Lana gags at the smell of it. I don't get how anyone can dismiss a food without ever having tasted it. That's fine though, more for Marcel and me. I'm rather proud that I cooked it by myself and it came out great. My stomach's grumbling just thinking about it. Off to eat! For those of you who would like to give it a whirl, here's the recipe I used.


Bertha's Menudo
  • 1 big freakin pot
  • 1 bag of LaMichoacana chili peppers (16 oz.
  • 1 whole onion
  • 1 whole garlic
  • Oregano
  • 7pds of menudo (two kind - buy the more expensive one, blanco. The cheap kind melts away during cooking)
  • salt (6 tablespoons per 8pds of meat)
  • 1 can of hominy (two if you prefer)


Clean the meat first. Bring the water to a boil. Don't put the meat in until the water is boiling otherwise it won't cook properly. Add the meat, onion, and garlic once the water has been boiling, and then bring it down to a medium heat. Stir often to avoid the meat sticking to the bottom. The meat will take 3 hours to cook. Taste the broth frequently and then remove the whole garlic and onion when you are satisfied with the flavor. Clean the peppers and remove all the seeds, and then soak them in warm, not boiling, water to soften them up. Once soft, liquify it in a blender slowly using broth straight from the cooking menudo. Add in the peppers a few at time, liquify, then add more until all are done. Once the meat is cooked, add the peppers, hominy, and oregano.

No comments:

Post a Comment