Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Movie Night

I just finished my workout and I'm wide awake now. I'm thinking maybe we should have worked out before going to the movies but I wasn't feeling very motivated for it at the time. Having a workout partner helps tremendously. If Micah didn't call on workout days, I'm sure I would cop out more than I should. We did squeeze in the workout after the movie though which was awesome by the way.

I had been wanting to watch the new War of the Worlds since I first heard about it. I still remember the first time I read it. My dad had a ragged paperback copy he brought back after going to the field. Luckily, it wasn't torn in half but it was water logged. He'd often go to the field with a paperback or two and tear it in half once he passed the halfway mark and pass it on to someone else to read while he finished the other half. This copy was pretty beaten up by the time I got a hold of it after a two month bivouac. I still have the copy sitting on my shelf. I must have been around twelve and was already familiar with H.G. Wells after reading The Invisible Man in the fifth grade. The cover sucked me in immediately with the picture of these tall robotic monsters stomping across a field covered in red weeds. I still love the book and it takes me back to the first time I read it every time.

The movie did the novel a great justice. It's such a well told story it deserved the kind of attention Steven Spielberg is capable of. I loved it and can't wait for it come out on DVD. If you love the novel as much as I do, you'll truly appreciate the little details that were put in the movie. There were a few changes made but nothing dramatically different from the original story. The tripods are bigger than they should be, the aliens are different looking and more mobile, they have force fields <*sigh*> but I can't complain too much over the changes since it's still true to the book and lots of little details are there for those who've read the book. Did I mention I really liked the new movie?

I'm not halfway sleepy and Lana's in bed reading. I think I'll take that ragged copy my dad gave me, curl up in bed with her, and read until I fall asleep. Well, 'night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment