Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

No guts, no glory...

I've taken a bit of absence from blogging but not from a lack of inspiration. I keep meaning to head out for the day for a "medicine day" but I just never seem to find the time. Everytime I sit down to write a little I realize my subject matter really isn't appropriate for public reading. It always gets me back to thinking about that secret blog I've never got around to keeping. Anyway, been feeling a little stressed out, trapped, cooped up, and in bad need of a change of scenery. I won't go into details but something needs to happen. Arg.

Anyway, I did get to go out a little yesterday. I had promised Marcel I'd take him to Toys R Us to spend his birthday gift card from his Grandpa. Lana didn't get back from the barn until really late so we rushed out there only to walk out forty five minutes later empty-handed. Lana normally refuses to go with Marcel and me since we tend to be very selective shoppers when it comes to our toys but she made an exception this time. She compares it to going into a bookstore with me. Even I was tired after thirty minutes but Marcel had his heart set on one toy in particular. After he decided that mommy and daddy had no idea what toy he was asking for, he moped around grabbing random toys to get. He eventually agreed that it was better to wait, get what he wants, then to settle for a bunch of stuff he didn't want.

So we all dragged ourselves into truck in search of food. I felt a little bad for our waiter since we took about fifteen minutes just to make our order but there was no getting around it.

I got a call from my brother while we were sitting there drooling over the menu. He sounded upset so I immediately gave him my full attention which Lana picked up sitting across from me. One of our friends, Ted, died. I can't tell you how shaken I was. I didn't know the guy very well but it slammed me hard nevertheless. He played poker with us at my brother's Wednesday night game pretty regularly. He was a familiar face whose presence I came to enjoy even when he was in a bad mood. Every since certain events in my life, I've been a firm believer that the best way we can honor those no longer with us is to remember them how they really were.

Ted could be an asshole but he was also a friend. I didn't get to know him well, but he's one of those guys that you never forget. He could get pretty bitchy at the table some days, but then there were days he dance in his chair to the music while sucking down a beer, all smiles throughout the evening. He's the most quoted and referenced player we play poker with. While he may have been an asshole some days, he was our asshole and I know I'll miss him. My brother says he was a hell of a friend and I'll just have to take his word on that since I'll never get to know.

Marcel, like any kid, picked up I was upset. Lana and I exchanged looks across the table and decided to he was old enough. We proceeded to explain what happened to Ted and what it means to be dead to our seven year old son in Chilli's. The meal was less than satisfying but I don't think it had anything to do with the service. We ended up having Micah and Kelly over for the rest of the night so we wouldn't brood over it. We ended up watching Deadwood until the early morning hours and my dreams were remarkably unremarkable.

Well, I think I'll call it quits for now.

3 comments:

  1. "No guts, No glory!!"
    "All I can do is lose.."
    Just a couple of Ted's sayings. I met Teddy Doyle 2 years ago when I bought my pool table, boy did he talk some shit when he would kick my ass at pool.. Trying to tell me every shot to take, of course i would tell Ted to shut up , because i am a sore loser.
    I have 2 years of memories with my friend, and i will never forget him.
    *****A TRUE FRIEND****VIETNAM VET**
    R.I.P.
    IN GOD'S HANDS
    TEDDY DOYLE

    P.S.
    I MISS MY FRIEND ALREADY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to comment, and just can't even find words. How can a guy that you don't know that well, and heaven knows could be bitchy when he wanted to, have such an impact on me? I haven't been able to stop thinking about Ted, his words of wisdom trying to prod someone to make a call they were to scared to make, that goofy little smile when you were trying to get a read off of him, along with the wiggle in the chair that went with it. It's the strangest thing, but when you saw Ted walking over from accross the street, you couldn't help but be glad and smile, even if you knew he was going to bitch at someone that night. That was Ted, the smile you least expected to happen...... You know, when something makes you smile, and you couldn't have seen it comming a mile away, it's always a good feeling. Ted gave me that feeling. I will most definitley miss Ted at the games, I can't even imagine him not there...
    I imagine in the non poker world he was just as impactful of a guy. My thoughts go out to his close friends and family. I can't even imagine their loss.

    Ted, the unexpected smile....for me anyways

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Ted we shall always enshrine the "folding, Ted-style" and the "getaway car."

    -Micah

    ReplyDelete