Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Friday, September 14, 2007

Crunchy

olivianlana01Big Brother 8 is finally over. Blah. Back to Meerkat Manor. Blaaaaaah. Danielle is such an annoying little skank.

Anyway, not a lot going on around here other than enjoying baby time and doing a lot of reading. I finished a reading the Hammered series and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a nice fix for my ever growing habit for more modern sci-fi. That isn't to say I won't ever pick up a Heinlein or Bradbury up again because reading those guys is a whole different experience of sci-fi. I've grown so tired of the bad fantasy novels that I had to just try some new stuff. To be honest, I'm just tired of the genre a little. There just doesn't seem to be anything very original, or at least nothing I've found. I've been trying to stay away from books and authors I've already read the past year or two just to force me to read some refreshing (I hope) stuff. It's paid off pretty good so far with some really good stuff. Just to pass on a really great sci-fi trilogy, give The Risen Empire a shot. It's an awesome story that's well told with just enough sci-fi crunchiness to not be too overwhelming to the story. It's gotta be one of my favorites so far other than the whole Revelation Space series. It's a little heavier on the crunchy factor but the whole massing story makes it well worth it as does the characters that he develops. I swear good sci-fi just goes down better and leaves you wanting more. So now I'm stuck without a book to read and all my books in one massive pile that would be downright dangerous to dig through. I reeeeeeaaaally need to get my bookshelves made. Arg. Until then though, I guess I'll just have to make a trip to Half Price books with Marcel and read some more RPG stuff. *sigh*

All this sci-fi on the brain really got me thinking more about that Gamma World game I've been wanting to run. After pouring through the D20 Gamma books though, I couldn't help but notice how much more detail could be added to the game by using GURPS instead. Third edition, of course. I still haven't really decided which system but I'll prolly go with familiar first before I tackle the D20 modern system. Anyway, I'm off for now. All this talk of crunchiness got me cravin a big bowl of cereal. Mmmmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment