Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Into Focus

halloween2008_16
halloween2008_20
halloween2008_67
So it's been a pretty busy month. The past month I've pretty much put everything on halt to work on Marcel's Halloween costume. I made really good progress on it and I can only thank Lana for being so tolerant of me neglecting everything else. I'm weeks behind on laundry, the kitchen is a constant mess and I was constantly in the garage. It's always a thrill to finish a project especially when it comes out as well as it did. I learned how to sew four way fabric (spandex), I put in my first zipper, and I learned some really great things to know about doing automotive body work.
  • Fresh body filler makes a huge difference.
  • Basic sanding skills are everything.
  • When in doubt add more body filler and sand with a finer grit.
  • Fiberglass Resin is really hard to get out of your hair.
  • Mask everything you don't want to paint even if you think the spray won't hit that area.
  • The time you spend on sanding and prep work will always show... for better or worse.
All in all, it came out amazing. I finally got a good technique down for working with body filler and fiberglass. Next time I'll just order a gallon or latex for making my molds and save some sanding time. Honestly I think I enjoy doing the work as much as I love seeing Marcel's face on the finished product. It's always very rewarding on different levels. Everything was fabricated by me except the flashlight and blaster lens. Something about being able to say, "It didn't exist until I created it."

To top it all off, I got my Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black) in time for all the Halloween pictures. I had to sell every piece of old VW bug stuff I had stored away but I managed to scrape up enough money for it. What I didn't have covered, my baby picked up after a doing a Passion Party. I sometimes take for granted what a great job Lana has, and how good she is at it. She came home from a party and asked how much I was short and just handed me a couple hundred. You want to talk hot??
I was initially just going to get the Olympus Stylus 1030SW that I've been wanting but Lana talked some sense into me. I'm so glad she did too becuase I abso-tively love this camera. So now that I've got time on my hands again, I've been reading up a lot on photography from library books, watching lots of tutorials on Youtube, and just shooting tons of pictures. I can't wait to get a new lens now. Prolly a IF 70-200mm to start off. Then there's always a good macro lens of course. But then there's a the need for a solid flash, maybe a battery grip and you can't discount the need for a wireless shutter control.

I wonder how much giving plasma pays out these days...



deussenpark12lateparktrip03
duckpondnewport07jessejonespark02

No comments:

Post a Comment