Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Zootastic!

houstonzoo_070
houstonzoo_074
My legs ache. We must have walked the zoo three times over today but it was energy well spent. I should have been at home shrinking the mountain of laundry or finishing the sheetrocking in the bedroom but I knew I wasn't going to do anything very productive today. So rather than putz around the house putting off everything I should be doing, I packed up the kids and headed for the Houston Zoo.

Before we even got there 'Livie managed to lose a shoe somewhere at Fiesta while we bought our tickets and some most awesome Flaming Hot Cheetos.

I forgot how packed the zoo could get on a Saturday. Kids everywhere. It seemed as though all were running amok. All except the kids on a leash of course. Now I know I joke around a lot about it but I honestly think putting your kids on a leash is just a little demeaning. Not just to the kid but to the parent as well. I've heard all the arguments for them but in the end I guess I just have to say it's a personal choice for me and I don't think I could do it to my kid. It's a leash no matter what you call it. I'd rather struggle my kiddo into a stroller and have her learn that if she behaves outside of it she can walk around holding my hand. No leash for my kiddos. You can't fool me with that cute monkey backpack - it's still a leash. I couldn't help but laugh and nudge Marcel when I saw one mom being dragged by a team of kids on leashes while she texted on her phone. What would Cesar Millan say about that? Tsk, tsk.

We had a good time. Olivia managed to lose a sock while there and we just barely avoided losing a backup pair of sandals I packed. There was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch, lots of Cheetos consumed by all, and the kids crashed like rocks once they got in the car. It would have been perfect had Lana been there with us but she had an important date with her mom.

Laura, Lana's momma, had some parties this weekend out of town and wanted Lana to be there when she Ding'ed to Executive Director. So she leveled up and is still whoopin ass and taking names! 'Gratz Laura!!!

My legs hurt. I mean they really ache from all the walking. I guess I should really start getting back into the habit of doing more physical activity. With only Sally now, there's nothing to stop us from going on walks since she's so good on the harness bud -er- I mean leash. ;)

Off to watch some Movies with Marcel before we pass out. Later!

2 comments:

  1. Ya know... I personally wouldn't put my kid on a leash but mostly cause I gotz a stroller. I mean that's far better restraint ;) Thing is that everyone looks at a leash as all jacked up but when they see a screaming toddler being strapped down in a stroller they don't think twice. The leash gives them far more freedom to wreak havoc. Yup I'll stick w/the stroller but perspective is a funny thing. You put a dog on a leash and that's bad for a kid because they aren't dogs but you wouldn't dream of tying your dog down to a rolling chair. Think about it. Oh I know, "it's a safety belt" ha! Maybe a safe zone for the parents' sanity. I'm yet to meet a toddler that isn't an escape artist.

    For that matter hand holding is a leash too. Just less freedom in that one too. No, I'll pass on the leash. It's way to liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I've seen, the Buddy Harness is a way to justify allowing a child to wreak havoc on everything and everyone within the range of a monkey tail. I'm not sure what's more frustrating; seeing a kid running up and down Walmart unattended or a parent holding a leash to their kid while they zone out to their phone or magazine.

    That isn't to say that I haven't seen some very well behaved children wearing them because I have. What's wrong with holding a hand? I enjoy holding my kiddo's hand and I'm sure they like it too.

    Plus if the escape artist tries to give me the slip I know it!

    It boils down to a matter of perspective I guess. I've seen these Buddy Harnesses abused more often than not and I'd prefer to find another way that doesn't involve me treating my kid like a four-legged creature.

    I did read one story were a mother was embarrassed into retiring her Buddy Harness when her toddler would drop to all fours in public and pretend she was a dog. I only wish I was there to get a picture...

    Well, that's my two cents worth - again! ;)

    ReplyDelete