Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Birthday Plans

marcelbdayparty11_02With Marcel's birthday party just around the corner, I've been pretty busy sculpting. He decided on a Nightmare Before Christmas cake this year, which I was more than happy to indulge. It's one of my favorite Tim Burton films and I've been dieing for an excuse to try my hand at a custom cake. After watching far too many episodes of Ace Of Cakes and various other cake shows I felt I was more than capable of making something that sort of resembled something cool from the movie.

It's been a lot of fun playing with the gum paste despite having to sculpt on a clock. The stuff drys up pretty darn fast so you have to sculpt relatively fast. Thankfully we have good friend who happens to be a chief as well so I've been picking her brain a bit too whenever I got questions plus she was kind enough to loan me some of her equipment like awesome baking pans. So far all looks good and I'm right on schedule. Tonight I assemble Jack and zero, bake the cakes themselves, and begin working on the pieces for Olivia's cake. Yup, two cakes.

Olivia's birthday is so close to Marcel's we thought we'd do a double birthday. I shared quiet a few with my own brother and always remembered those birthdays fondly. Blowing out our birthday cake candles together was really special. Since Olivia is a bit younger than Marcel though, we figured she needed her own "girly" cake. Lots of pinks, polka dots, and flowers. I'm not sure how we're gonna do the Birthday song yet though.

The past month or so has been a blur of all the usual menial tasks (laundry, dishes, diapers, moping, etc) mixed with some roleplaying, guerrilla plant clipping runs, and playing NES Legend of Zelda.

clouds_beaminglight01We finally got a wireless router for the house. I configured the Wii and DSi to the network and the first thing Marcel showed me was the Wii Shopping Channel. He is a smart kiddo and knows how to sell to something to his dad. After that it wasn't hard to convince Lana and me to drop some money into Wii points so we could all pick out a few games to Download. I got Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros from NES, Marcel got Ocarana of Time from N64, and Lana got Donkey Kong Country from Super NES.

Playing all that Zelda got me back to thinking about our emulator and ROMs I got sitting on disc. So after being shelved for so long, we broke out the disc and started updating our emulators. After passing a few days away playing Atari, Arcade games, NES, and Super NES we decided we needed a gaming computer for the living room again. So starting next month we're gonna start building it - in an old Nintendo system! Yeah, I know it's super nerdy and I already caught a rash of shit from Lana and Helen but I saw the glee in their eye too. Nerds. :D

It's one of our older project ideas but it's not quite dead, just buried a little under the list. I got all my components picked out on newegg so now it's time to start building!

Well, I'm off to assemble Jack Skellington and Zero, then bake a few cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment