Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Blood, sweat, and Tears

cloudsoverdowntownThe past few days have been bit of a haze with Livie deciding that she didn't want to nap. She hasn't been getting her usual monster-long nap of 3 hours which means I don't get a break. Thankfully today we discovered it was actually just the TV turned up too loud that was keeping her awake. When she goes down for a nap, I'm usually catching up on email or I do my workout but with Don recovering at our house the TV never goes off and someone has to be with him. Throughout the day the volume creeps up to an ungodly decibel so I just asked him to turn it down when she went down for her nap today and she was out within five minutes. It's the little things in life that make me happy.

Olivia is now stomping around in her cast. It's really quite amusing to see. Since it comes up just a little past her knee, it's a little awkward but she's adjusted quickly to it. It's become a very formidable weapon during diaper changes. I know and have the bruises to prove it. Before it comes off, I'm going to steal Lana's camera to make a video. Because this will, hopefully, be the only time she'll have to wear a cast on her leg. I'm counting down to the day it comes off as is Marcel. Especially since it's his birthday that it comes off. :)

ocarinainjury01This year I'm making his birthday cake, as usual, but this time around we're going for something a little special. I'm going to attempt my first real cake experiment with fondant and gum paste. We're shooting for a Nightmare Before Christmas cake. Hopefully it'll look something like the graveyard hills by the time I'm done but I can't promise anything. We'll see I guess. I'm confident about my sculpting skills just not my baking skills.

Speaking of sculpting, the ocarinas are coming along great! I have mine sounding off nicely, began shaping it with the dremel, and cut the mouthpiece channel on Marcel's today. Tonight Marcel and me are going to be playing with the twenty pounds of stoneware clay I picked up from Texas Art Supply. I'm pretty excited about it and can't wait to have a few ocarinas to play. I think what I love the most about this project is I get to teach Marcel how to do something I love so much. I get to show him how much satisfaction there is in creating something with your hands. Actually getting your hands dirty, working the clay with your fingers, knowing when to push and when to cut. How to hold a chisel, how to move with the grain, how to set a clamp to protect your piece. Little lessons along the way like even in failure we've succeeded in finding out how not to proceed next time or that hard work can be very rewarding. All the lessons of a little blood, sweat, and tears. So long as my fingers can hold out the injuries.

It wasn't too bad. I've had far worse from an exacto blade but those mini chisels are pretty damn sharp too and the cut was deeper than I expected. A little bit of super glue and I was carving again. I tried getting a picture while it was still an open wound but I was bleeding everywhere and I didn't want to get blood on my camera. Next time though... Not that I'm planning on opening up my finger again anytime soon but should it happen, I'm getting an open wound picture. You've been warned.

Off to take the meatloaf from the oven! 'Night!

2 comments:

  1. I clicked because of the awesome cloud picture and almost lost my lunch at the second pic.

    Almost, it was too expensive of a lunch to let come back up in this economy.

    MrBrownThumb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I felt the blood coming out of my finger and said to myself, "Oh hell no! We're so NOT going to the emergency room again anytime soon if I can help it!"

    Man, I love super glue. Plus it's way cheaper than stitches. :)

    ReplyDelete