Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Friday, August 7, 2009

Time Flying By

ribblette_07It's been a little easier the past few days. Olivia's mobile again in her own way now. She either booty scoots everywhere or does an army crawl when speed requires a hasty getaway. She's never fast enough to escape but it never keeps her from trying.

Summer is winding down and the kids' birthdays are right around the corner. Marcel gets harder to shop for every year but I guess every dad has this problem. The older he gets the less in touch I feel I am with his interests. It helps that we both have a lot of common ground I think and I've been trying to make more of an effort to nurture those. The teenage Marcel is right around the corner and I must be prepared.

ocarina_04When I asked Marcel the other day what he wanted for his birthday he asked for a Songbird Ocarina of Time. The dork in me quietly rejoiced. Until I saw the price. After looking up the price I phyically flinched. What if he never picks it up after the first time?? What if he breaks it??? So that lead me, of course, to the I-Think-I-Could-Do-That voice in my head. A few hours of research only reinforced the voice. I've got the sculpting skills, the tools and patience. What I didn't have at the moment was pottery clay. Here lately, I've been trying to live more by the motto of:

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
--Theodore Roosevelt


That's when my research lead me to try my hand at a wooden Ocarina. They're a little more involved but I have everything I need sitting in my garage right now. So it began. We sculpted out our chosen shapes, traced out our pattern, cut it out on the bandsaw, and hollowed out the centers. The hard part is going to be tuning these bad boys and getting the sound just right by adjusting the fipple. I swear I didn't make that word up. Go ahead, look it up.

So it's been a few late nights watching Big Brother After Dark while Marcel and me widdling away at our ocarinas. Teaching Marcel how to use chisels lead to an injury of both children. Marcel managed to slice his thumb and I scratched Olivia's head with one. I'm surprised I didn't manage to draw blood on myself. I've many scars on my own hands to show just how many Exacto blades have taken a swing at me over the years.

It is fun though. I absolutely love working with my hands. Shaving the wood away, the detail of sanding away with a hobby file, and the success of getting it to whistle! It's a little reedy right now but hopefully with all the helpful folks at Ocarina Network I'll get it right eventually. ;)

To make it even better, they will be something of a momento of our house. They're made from the wood from the built-in desk we tore out of our living room.

Well, off to widdle away at the ocarina some more while I listen to some awesome ocarina music!

No comments:

Post a Comment