Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Birthday Madness!

August is finally over. The cakes were finished on schedule, Olivia is now free from her cast, and Don is now in the comfort of his own home. It's been an insane month, to say the least.

I was very happy with the cakes and even happier with how much the kids seemed to love em. What I didn't think about though, was Marcel's cake gave everyone black teeth since the fondant was colored with black food gel. Once the girls realized this, Olivia's cake began to go quickly. I did warn everyone that the pumpkins were basically jawbreakers. I'm not sure who ended up with Jack Skellington but I do know the cake slices looked pretty cool since each piece got a few headstones and pumpkins.

marcelbdayparty11_041marcelbdayparty11_038The aftermath of of the birthday party? Lots of boxes, wrapping paper, way more cake than I should consume by myself, and two very happy children. I sent home cake with anyone who would take some but I'm still left with far too much temptation. I think next year I'll be using a lighter recipe. The recipe I used was intended for stacking layers but I didn't really need anything that dense. Lessons learned I guess. I did have fun though. Cleaning up wasn't really bad at all since I had a lot of help from everyone before the left. I just wish they had taken more cake.

I wasn't sure we were going to be able to pull off the cakes but I'm happy we did. I always feel like I'm not doing enough for the kids when I think about all they've done for me. Between all the other crazy stuff going on recently I felt this birthday needed to stand out in their memory just a little bit.

marcelbdayparty11_126marcelbdayparty11_133They're getting big so fast. It might seem a little weird but I think having Olivia so far apart from Marcel gave us a different perspective on this whole parenthood thing. So many parents look forward to their kids growing up and moving out I find it a little sad. I feel like if they could feel what I feel, they'd maybe realize what they have before it's gone. I enjoy Marcel's sense of humor. I'm amazed at Olivia's boldness and moments of shyness. Marcel shocks me with his tender-heartedness while infuriating me in moments he displays that family temper. I see so much of Lana and me in our kids but then there's so much of that which makes them so unique. I wouldn't trade this experience of parenthood for anything. It just doesn't last long enough.

So now that all the craziness is behind us we're looking forward to a little boring normalcy around here or at least a few moments of respite. I'm looking forward to a little hum drum scheduling for a little while.

"Sometimes, it's the boring stuff I remember the most."
--Russell, Up


At least until Halloween. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment