Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Puzzling Around

christmas2009_092Another Christmas for the books. We've managed to recover mostly. Wrapping paper and empty boxes have been bagged, most of the chocolate cookies are gone, and the new toys have all found a comfortable spot with the rest. Oh, and Christmas pics for 2009 are finally posted.

We spent a wonderful Christmas at home with Lana's grandma and dad. Don's doing great for those that remember his little emergency room visit. We baked cookies and slathered them in frosting, watched Christmas movies with the kids (Jack Frost and A Christmas Story, and then nerded out out to District 9. We even remembered to leave Santa his share of cookie tax before calling it a night.

christmas2009_055christmas2009_033Now the only problem is finding our regular groove. I think I would have spent the entire past week in pajamas had I been able to get away with it. I'll eventually get back on track I guess though I'm in no particular rush. It's rather nice not having regular jobs and being chained to a work schedule. :)

I did manage to pick up a new-but-old hobby. When Lana and I first got married we moved away to the far away land of Tennessee. I was just a newly promoted PV2, straight out of AIT, at my first duty station and neither of us knew anyone. Before we made friends with the people I worked with at the hospital, we found puzzles when we ventured out at 3am at Walmart. Looking back, it was really a pretty darn wonderful time. It was just us and we were both on my night shift schedule. We'd sleep all day and spend the whole evening together watching movies, playing scrabble, or putting puzzles together. On my off rotation we'd pack up and head out for three or four days and forget I was in the Army. I even have the Article 15 to prove it.

Lana bought a big value pack of puzzles at Walmart for us to do as a family. We tackled the small one first. We moved on quickly to the 1,000 piece puzzle. While it may not be what some call fun, I enjoy it. It's especially fun when Lana scoots up on the other side of the table. It becomes marvelous curveball of fun when Marcel sits down. Maybe you don't get it, but that's okay cause I do.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I totally get it. I love family time, no matter how small the activity seems to be at first glance. Tom and I worked on a puzzle together one time and it was pretty darn nice. Maybe I'm just nerdy? Nah.
    We all played Life the other day, and it was in my top 3 favorite 2009 holiday moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The puzzles do seem to nurture everything good about having OCD and ADD plus it's a family activity that doesn't require a controller or keyboard. :)

    I absolutely love boardgames, including Life. One of my favorites is still Fireball Island. I played the hell of this game one summer with my brother and friends so much I finally got another copy of it a few years back to play with Marcel and the kids.

    In case you don't remember this game...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujgywX-z9c

    ReplyDelete