Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Monday, January 4, 2010

In the Year Twenty Ten

shaving03So it's a new year and it's the first post in the year twenty ten. I love saying that - "In the year twenty ten". It sounds so prophetic or almost biblical. Something world-altering should happen and hopefully for the best.

My world just altered a little just an hour ago. It was just a small thing but I felt my world shift just ever so subtly. Marcel got his first lesson in shaving. He'd been growing a bit of peach fuzz and we decided a shaving kit was perfect for a gift from us this year. So he now has his own black bag to toss under the sink now. I'll now have to worry about him stealing my razor or leaving a dirty sink. Oh, and he's no longer my little "Boogie". Did I forget the part that it became all too apparent that he's quickly becoming more of a man every day?



I hear the sediment so often, mostly from people without kids, that goes something like, "I bet you'll be so happy when you won't have to __________." That big blank being change their diapers, clean up after them, finding a babysitter, help them with their homework, worry if they're not feeling well, etc. Parents know how silly such a statement is. You never stop wanting to help them, you'll always feel the need to clean up after them even when their old enough to do it themselves, you'll always want to baby them just a bit when their feeling down. Every parent knows that you never stop wanting to be an integral part of their life. The time they'll spend with us at this very moment is here only once, then it's gone forever. My kids have made me a better man and I owe them more then they'll ever know.

So will I be happy when they're all grown up and I'm "free" to do what I want, when I want? It's almost insulting. I'll be proud of them for who they are but I'll always ache a bit for the time I've had with them when they still called me "Daddy". Even the diaper blowouts and temper tantrums.

So what do I want out of this new year? I'm going to avoid the phrase, "Not right now." I want to seize the time I have with my kids more often even if it's just sitting on the floor and playing Mega Bloks with her or showing him how to shave without getting razor burn.

Well, I'm off to get some reading squeezed in before I call it a night.

2 comments: