Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Saturday, July 17, 2010

River Rats

guadaloperiver_05_1So about a week ago, Lana's mom starts asking us about our schedule and when would be a good time to head out to the Gaudalupe River. After a little shuffling around, we loaded up and headed out. The kids were actually well behaved in the back seat despite the long drive and their reward was a three hour raft ride down the river. It was really pretty pleasant despite it being a Friday. I expected the party crowd to be out in force. Obnoxious folk who can't seem to have fun without being drunk always perturb me especially when in public but it was actually pretty laid back. Marcel caught his first glimpse of publicly exposed boobs. I pretended to not notice him noticing but he was pretty alert after that. Besides the occasional exposed boob, the loud country music (which I was very happy with), and the water cannon snipers, it was very relaxing and good family fun.

guadaloperiver_35_1We did have to keep a close eye on the little girl of course. First off, Laura was kind enough to think ahead and found a place who would allow our little girl on the raft. Jerry's Rentals hooked us up and set us loose (These kind folk come highly recommended for numerous reasons). Olivia, like her brother at the same age, is under the impression she is a fish. She can swim and even breath water, when she wants to. We made sure her prison orange life vest was well secured. I saw that look in her eye when she started easing her way to the edge of the raft. It's that look in her eye when she's found a lost crayon. When she thought we weren't looking, she jumped head first into the river. I jumped in right after her, ruining her plans by yanking her out of the water as quickly as I could. I'm told by Lana she was grinning the whole while. I didn't really notice with my adrenaline pumping so hard and my face buried in the water wake of a kicking toddler. After her one get away attempt, she was content with leaning over the raft to play in the water and the pit stops on the river shore to play.

I can't wait to do it again. I'm thinking midweek next time though. The great thing about Lana's job is we can do stuff like this in the middle of the week when most people are sitting behind a desk wishing they were at the river. :)

vwbus66restore_002Hopefully when we make this trip next summer it'll be in the bus. The guys are nearly done already! They're waiting on me to order the Safari windows so they can start welding them in. From there, it's new battery trays installed and new seats from a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500. I'm pretty excited about the idea of cranking her up again. In the next few days I'm gonna be heading over to their shop to strip the tar out of the back and take measurements for the side scoops I'm gonna fiberglass. It's coming along nicely!

Off to watch a little TV now and maybe even do a load of laundry or two. With the little girl going through potty training, I have an over-abundance of dirty clothes these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment