Alex Camacho
Crosby, TX, United States
Born in Houston, Texas and raised all over living the life of an Army Brat. I Went to eight different schools (three elementary, one middle school, four high schools) and have one little brother who’s not so little anymore. I’ve been married for nearly fourteen years now to a woman who rocks my world and I've been blessed with two wonderful children. Our dog, Sally, is a big black lab saved from a local shelter.
VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE

Monday, January 10, 2011

Paper Mountain

sortingbooks01Warning:  The following post is link heavy so be prepared to use those tabs.  :D

I realized the other day, staring into my mountain of books, that I've been on a pretty long sci-fi trek the past year. The more I thought about it though the more it really just makes sense. Science fiction is my first love when it comes to books.

My love for reading started with The Invisible Man when I was around eleven I guess.  I ordered it out of our weekly reader.  I remember being lost in to the misery of the invisible man and shocked by the ending. That book put me on course to fall in love with science fiction. I devoured The War of the Worlds when my dad gave me his worn copy. I soon discovered Ray Bradbury through Dandelion Wine and The Martian Chronicles. It was probably somewhere around The Illustrated Man I discovered Robert Heinlein and The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.  It wasn't long that I soon discovered Isaac Asimov and his Foundation series.

So it's now a whole new year and I've decided to try something a little new. On our road trip I got to catch up on my reading. I'd been reading the Hunger Games Trilogy with Marcel after it was recommended to us by Helen. I really enjoyed the first book. It was very reminiscent of Heroes Die to me but with a younger audience in mind. So with all the science fiction I've been consuming lately I've also been reading a great blog by Frederik Pohl. Then the idea hit me. This year I would make a point to go back to my roots.  I'm gonna go back to those classic science fiction books I fell in love with and even read the ones that I missed.

I hit google and found a great list of The Classics of Science Fiction.  I'm gonna try to write a little about the experience as I go so stay tuned.  Every month I'll try to post a little something about my progress and whatever else I'm reading.  I'm aiming for at least one book on the list a month.  That should still leave me room for the occasional horror novel, friend recommended book, etc.  So here's a short list (duplicated from The Classics of Science Fiction) with just the top twenty five.  I've also compiled the list on Amazon listed as Classic Sci-Fi Mission 2011.

#

Citations

Year

Title

Author

1
25
1953
Demolished Man, The Bester, Alfred
2
25
1953
More Than Human Sturgeon, Theodore
3
25
1965
Dune Herbert, Frank
4
24
1951
Foundation Trilogy, The Asimov, Isaac
5
24
1960
Canticle for Leibowitz, A Miller, Walter M.
6
24
1968
Stand on Zanzibar Brunner, John
7
24
1969
Left Hand of Darkness, The Le Guin, Ursula K.
8
23
1895
Time Machine, The Wells, H. G.
9
23
1898
War of the Worlds, The Wells, H. G.
10
23
1953
Childhood's End Clarke, Arthur C.
11
22
1950
Martian Chronicles, The Bradbury, Ray
12
21
1953
Space Merchants, The Pohl & Kornbluth
13
21
1957
Stars My Destination, The Bester, Alfred
14
21
1970
Ringworld Niven, Larry
15
21
1974
Dispossesed, The Le Guin, Ursula K.
16
20
1949
1984 Orwell, George
17
20
1952
City Simak, Clifford
18
20
1954
Mission of Gravity Clement, Hal
19
20
1962
Man in the High Castle, The Dick, Philip K.
20
19
1932
Brave New World Huxley, Aldous
21
19
1956
City and the Stars, The Clarke, Arthur C.
22
19
1961
Stranger in a Strange Land Heinlein, Robert A.
23
19
1971
To Your Scattered Bodies Go Farmer, Philip Jose
24
19
1973
Rendezvous with Rama Clarke, Arthur C.
25
19
1975
Forever War, The Haldeman, Joe

Anyone wanna read along? I just ordered the first two books on Amazon and they should be in by next week! :D

1 comment: